Monday, August 15, 2011

Kat/Nigella's Blood and Guts Potatoes

As a follow on from my last night's post, and as requested by my friend Stevo... My version of Nigella's Blood and Guts Potatoes...

Mine are a little different't from Nigella's because "three ghost white balls of mozzarella" just ain't happenin' in this Kiwi student's flat! But small cubes of ordinary Edam do sort of afford you a "kind of intestinal goo" although, I imagine, to a lesser degree than good ol' mozza would... Oh well! Marines Kiwis make do!

BooYah! I totally loaded this @ Uni, y'all!
Sooo... it's not the world's prettiest food item, but it sure is tasty!
Despite the desperate lack of mozzarella, these make a tasty potato side with an unfortunate tendency to distract me from the fact that I'm technically avoiding starchy carbs right now... Still, half a potato never hurt anyone, right?

Any left over filling can be mixed with an egg and baked in a tinfoil cup for your boyfriend's lunch the next day - just be sure to write his initials in tomato sauce on the top!




You'll need enough potatoes to feed your eaters. For Joshee and me, this means 3.

Bake these at, say 200/220 degrees for an hour to an hour and a half... I skewer mine with metal skewers b/c this helps them cook faster and patience is NOT one of my virtues!

Once your potatoes are baked (all wrinkly on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside) allow them to cool until you can handle touching them (for me this means AAAGES...)... before cutting them in half an scooping the flesh out, leaving a 5mm ish layer around the edge.

Put your scooped flesh into a bowl and add the blood (tomato or BBQ sauce) and guts cubed cheese with some salt and pepper to your liking.

Spoon the fillings back into the little potato "bellies" (skins) and top with a little more blood.

Bake in the same, hot oven for 15 minutes until the cheese is all melty and delicious. Serve with Nigella's Ritzy Chicken Nuggets for a truly awesome, Kid-fest meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment