Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Sesame Orange Salad

To round off my Nigella Feast... of Chicken Nuggets and Baked, Stuffed Potatoes I now present the accompanying Orange Sesame Salad...

Mesclun  salad leaves with an orange, sesame dressing.
Now this one, is based, very very loosely on Nigella's Garlicky Spinach Tomato Salad, in that I borrowed the idea of using the tomato, or in this case, orange as part of the dressing rather than as part of the salad... beyond that the flavouring, although not an original combination are all mine!

See, when in comes to fruit, I am a fussy bugger, and will only ever really eat it just as it comes into ripeness... drives my mother, and the occasional flatmate, up the wall! As such, I had these oranges that my loving mother had sent me, but I had yet to get around to eating them... when... DUN DUN DUN!!! They became far to ripe for human (read: Kat-line) consumption... but I didn't want to just throw them away - that would be rude! So I decided to take a leaf out of Nigella's... DVD collection?... and use it them to make a salad dressing. But rather than using just the juice - I wanted to use the whole of the flesh - as Nigella did with her tomatoes... mixed with some sesame seeds and oil, and just a hint of fresh grated ginger (*ahem* fromatube) to create a rather tasty salad dressing, though I do say so myself.

Ingredients:

2 oranges
2 tsp sesame oil
2 Tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
salt/pepper to taste

Salad leaves...

Chop the orange up reeeally small... then chop it a little more... Make it as homogeneous as you like: I had some large-ish chucks, some small pieces and lots of pulp.

Dump it into the bowl from which you plan to serve the salad and mix it the sesame oil and seeds and the salt/pepper to taste.

Toss in the salad leaves and coat well. Sprinkle over a few extra sesame seeds before serving.

Enjoy!

Simple and tasty, with just a touch of elegance. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment