Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Jenny's Famous Chocolate Cake

When I was little... Like 12/13ish I "wrote" a cook book. By "wrote" I mean typed out all my favourite recipes, attached clip art images, printed them off and bound them into books which I proceeded to present to my family and friends as gifts. Copyright infringements were, no doubt, abound - but I never sold the cookbooks nor did I claim to have developed the recipes myself. They were just my tweenage favourites.

Served with chocolate sauce and yoghurt.

Featured in that book was my recipe for Jenny's Famous Chocolate Cake(s) - a delicious cake recipe made in a food processor (or by hand if, as a student, you don't own a food processor) that makes two dark, moist chocolate cakes. Which you can then layer or freeze one for later...

In the photographed image provided I've made the cake with 50% wholemeal flour and some rolled oats for extra fibre/texture but this is not necessary. The chocolate sauce I made is a recipe which comes from Edmonds Food For Flatters.

In my cookbook Katies Kool Kooking (don't ask...), when writing out the recipe I neglected to include sugar at all - instead suggesting that an auxiliary 2 cups of flour would be needed... and I left the cocoa out in it's entirety. The following version of this recipe has only one cup of sugar but it does include that all important half cup cocoa required to make the cake chocolatey...


You'll need:

200g soft butter
1 cup flour sugar
2 eggs
 1 cup of soured milk or yoghurt (Mummy likes to use berry yoghurt - I like plain)
2 tsp vanilla

3 cups self raising flour (or 3 cups plain flour and 4.5 tsp baking powder)
OR 1 cup self-rising flour, 1.5 cups wholemeal flour, 1/2 cup rolled oats and 3 tsp of baking powder...)
1/2 cup cocoa

1 cup strong, hot coffee

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C and grease and line 2 20cm cake tins.

Beat together the butter, sugar, eggs, yoghurt and vanilla. Sift in your chosen dry ingredients. Stir together with the coffee until just combined.

OR bung it all into a food processor and whizz.

Pour into your prepared tins and bake for 30 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Serve warm or cooled with yoghurt or cream and:

Chocolate Sauce:

1 Tbsp corn flour
1/4 cup cocoa
1 cup milk
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla

In a small sauce pan mix together the cornflour, cocoa and 1/4 cup of the milk to make a smooth paste. Then add the remaining ingredients and heat over medium, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens.

Serve warm, poured over ice cream or chocolate cake.

1 comment:

  1. That looks really good and mouthwatering! I love how the chocolate drips down the sides of the cake. Happy Evening.

    ReplyDelete