Saturday, May 18, 2013

Taste & Create: Thali - Tomato Riata

This is my penultimate Taste & Create Thali recipe from Seduce Your Taste Buds... :)

It's a year, one month and 23 days since I posted my original review of 6 of PJ's delicious recipes... and today I will tell you, in greater detail about the 6th: Tomato Riata...

I really loved all the colour matching going on with the riata in this particular bowl...
Now, you may be like me, and of the belied that riata always contains cucumber. And cumin. And mint. Yes? No? Well; it turns out - we're wrong. Shocking, I know!

If you check out PJ's Menu page and scroll half way down (ish) she has a whole HOST of riata dishes! Only one of which contains "cucumber" in the title... So there. You learn something new every day.

This riata is a little more acidic tasting than its more conventional contemporary - but tasty none the less! I recommend giving it a go even if only to say that you have...


You'll need:

1 cup Greek yoghurt
salt - to taste

1tsp oil
2-3 curry leaves
1 red chilli, finely diced
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp urad dahl
1/8 tsp asafoetedia (hing)

1 tomato; dipped in recently boiled water for 5 seconds and peeled. Then mashed.

Beat the salt and yoghurt together, set aside.

Fry the seasonings in oil until the mustard starts to pop. Now add  the peeled, mashed tomato and fry briefly.

Allow to cool before stirring the tomato mix through the salted yoghurt.

Enjoy as an accompaniment to your favourite curry dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment