Monday, August 4, 2014

Taste & Create: Thali - Black Sesame Chutney

This is the final Taste & Create Thali recipe from Seduce Your Taste Buds... and it's the visually stunning Black Sesame Seed Chutney...

It's such a gorgeous, glossy, black colour!
PJ's chutney is very creamy looking... I'm not sure how I caused mine to look so different...? I wonder if it's because I used dried, desiccated coconut rather than fresh grated?

The seasonings are very similar to the ones used for the tomato riata and the two accompaniments complemented each other beautifully!

One factor that most excited me about this dish was that I got to make my own chutney with speed and ease rather than my usual (but fantastic) shop-bought mango chutney... :)

This one is well worth knocking up!
You need:

2Tbsp black sesame seeds, roasted
1/4 desiccated Coconut
3-4 Red chillies, roughly chopped
1tsp Tamarind paste
Salt to taste

1/2 tsp: Mustard seeds
               Cumin seeds
               Urad dhal
1-2 red chillies, sliced (optional)
3-5 curry leaves


In a mortar (with a pestle) or a small food processor, grind the first 5 ingredients to form a smooth paste (as I used dried, desiccated coconut, rather than fresh, grated - I needed to add a little water here...)

Toast the final 5 ingredients in a little oil until the spices are fragrant and the dhal has browned. Stir into the ground mixture and serve as you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment